Limping Labrador

Our labrador has been suffering from joint pain for the past few months. We were advised by the Vet to put him on JD prescription diet, which we did - and it' s costing us quite a fortune. He used to be a very active dog(living on a farm), but now with the pain, he spends most of the day in a passive state. This obviously does not help with weight-loss. He is definately overweight which places greater strain on his joints. We have adjusted the amount of food we give him, but he is still not losing weight. As a result of his discomfort, I have not taken him for walks or swims as I fear this could increase his pain levels. Bit of a catch-22 really. He definately needs to loose weight. What can we do?

Dear Anon

How old is your lab, have they done x-rays, what is their diagnoses etc.............................

Posted by: Chill | 2009-09-22

How old is the dog?

Any big dog that' s overweight is going to place extra strain on the joints - you need to feed him less and less until he' s getting only enough to sustain him, given his lack of exercise - if you don' t, he' ll just gain more and more.

You don' t give much information about this joint/limping thing - is it one leg, or all four?

Has your vet given you any anti-inflammatories?

' Joint pain'  is a symptom, not really a diagnosis. My vet wouldn' t get away with simply telling me this. On the other hand, a proper diagnosis might involve x-rays and/or other tests - could be expensive!

Normally swimming would be really excellent exercise for a dog with joint problems - it' s good for the muscles without straining the joints. Discuss this with your vet.

Reply to Chill