Posted by: Rene | 2012-11-08

light sleeper

Hi. I manage to fall asleep relatively easily but wake up from any disturbance from my partner moving in his sleep. He may be turning over or getting up to go to the toilet. I then battle to fall asleep again. We sleep on a memory foam mattress and I put a pillow between us as he is a restless sleeper. I now take half a sleeping tablet when awoken in the night as I have a demanding job and simply cannot function without sleep. It makes me feel groggy though but at least I am not sleep deprived and am able to work. I have been on and off sleeping tablets since my divorce 5 years ago and it seems it certainly contributes to my light sleeping problem. Will I sleep deeper if more naturally without chemicals? I dont think it is normal to wake up from the slightest movement next to me.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Some people are very sensitive to movement. However, the problem might be from either of you. You could have something which is making you sleep very shallow, or he might have a condition making him excessively restless!

I think that both of you need to see a sleep doctor who should be able to work our where the problem lies.

You are quite right - we would prefer you not to need chemicals to sleep. However, a sleeping pill sleep is better than no sleep, although a natural sleep is still the best.