Question
Posted by: Pixie | 2012-02-24

Light Sleeper

Hi there,

I have difficulty falling asleep and then sustaining a peaceful deep sleep at night. I am a light sleeper and share my bed with my boyfriend who snores a lot some nights. His snoring and my tendency to not sleep very deeply is a problem, because usually in the middle of the night when I''ve had enough I move to the spare bedroom to sleep alone. I also have to use earplugs (even in the spare bedroom!), because even if I can hear the snores just faintly, I can''t ignore them.

I can see that it bothers my boyfriend a lot and it bothers me too, because we want to stay together at night just like all couples want. It is a comforting feeling to stay together next to each other and now this is interfering with that!!

Mentally I am very busy and I do struggle to switch off by bedtime, but once I fall asleep I don''t stay in a deep sleep. I hear everything in the house and even when I move one of my limbs at night I wake up because of it.

Any suggestions that might help me sleep deeply enough so I don''t wake up from every little noise or movement?

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Various techniques exist to get a better sleep. You may also have an underlying anxiety disorder. A sleep doctor would be able to help you.

But equally important is your boyfriend's snoring. 50% of snorers have a condition called sleep apnoea, wich carries a very high risk of medical complications. So it is certainly not all your fault, and he is going to attend to his problem as well.