Posted by: VRT | 2011-11-23

Light Rectal Bleeding

I am 28 years old. This year I had an endoscopy performed. Doctor found a benign polyp &  told me I suffer from Acid Reflux. I am currently taking Altosec every alternate day as my reflux is not very severe. Last night when I passed stools I noticed some bright red blood on the toilet paper. I had slight constipation on the weekend, i dont know if this might have caused it. I have been monitoring it since last night &  the bleeding has not stopped. It is very light bleeding. This morning I dabbed a piece of tissue paper in that area, just a few spots of blood still appeared. I am not experiencing any pain or discomfort.

Should I be concerned &  do I need to visit my GP or Gastroentrologist?

Do not be too concerned, as it might only be due to a small mucosal bleed of the rectum. You can consult your doctor for an examination and treatment.

If you pass black stools that are tar like in consistence, you should seek help as soon as possible, as it will indicate a severe upper gastrointestinal bleed, like for instance a bleeding peptic ulcer.