Question
Posted by: Nita | 2012-09-13

Light in eyes

Please could you tell me what the doctors look for in your eyes with the torch and when they look why do they ask if I''m wearing glasses? I''m going for a MRI in October and would just like one less thing to think about.

Nita

The doctor will use a torch to look at your pupil response to light. If the pupils are not equal in size, it is possible that there is intercranial pathology causing unequal pupil size. If they use an opthalmoscope, they will be looking at the back of the eye, namely the retina. Certain diseases, like diabetes and hypertension, can cause visible retinal changes. When using an opthalmoscope, the doctor will be able to see if you have a refractive abnormality, hence needing glasses.