Question
Posted by: J& B | 2011/08/02

Light beer in terms of weight

Which is the more healther option in terms of weight: Castle light of Windhoek light? Also, is wishkey and water really a healthy option if compared to brandy and coke, or is it an urban myty?

Dear J&B
I don't have the energy content or other vitamin content figures for Windhoek Light beer, but I would presume that the 2 beers are similar. If you read this week's DietDoc Topic about alcoholic drinks, then you will see that drinking 1 tot of whiskey and water contains fewer kJ (less fattening) than 1 tot of brandy and 200 ml of a sweetened cola drink. So from a weight-gaining point of view the better option is the whiskey and water. Basically all alcoholic drinks can have negative health effects is you drink more than one or two a day. Conversely there is some evidence that drinking alcohol in moderation (1 drink a day or less) does improve general health. Most people are, however, not able to stick to having just 1 drink a day, which is where the health and obesity problems start.

1

Dear J&B