Question
Posted by: Jeanne | 2011/09/24

Lifestyle completely unbalanced - need help ASAP

My work life provides me very little structure in terms of a routine. My travelling time from work can vary from 30 minutes to 2 hours and at times working hours can run up to 14 hours a day. As a result of this stressful and unstructured schedule I find that I am completely neglecting my health, I am reaching for quick fix dinners on the way home (most of time Woolworths) and find that I am easing my stress with comfort foods (unhealthy sweets and baked goods that are packed with sugar!!). I am very concerned about the impact that this is having on my health and don''t know how to get things back on track. I don''t remember the last time I went to gym as I never ''seem to have time''.
I need to find balance and I need to find it soon!
Do I need a progressive approach to getting things back on track or do I need to do a 180 degree lifestyle change?
And what approach should I take?

Dear Jeanne
Modern life can really impact on one's schedules and self care. I think what you need is to sit down and plan your food purchases carefully (make lists), so that you always have healthy, low-fat foods available that you can have for your main meals and snacks. Woolies has plenty of low-fat dishes that you can stock up on, without going overboard with sugar, fat, and kJ. One of the most valuable aids to good health is exercise and it is not necessary to go to a gym to achieve daily exercise which will also help you relax and defuse some of the stress. Probably one of the easiest ways of staying fit is to buy a skipping rope and to skip whenever you get a chance (in the mornings or evenings or even in your lunch break). Start slowly and gradually increase how much and how fast you skip until you are doing at least 30 min a day.
Click on 'Diet'nFood' at the top of this page and read some of the articles on 'Healthy diets'.
I hope you manage to structure your life in such a way that you can give attention to your diet, exercise and health.

1

Dear Jeanne