Posted by: Addict | 2011-01-24

Lifelong addictions

I am a 25 year old female. My father commited suicide when I was 14 years old. After his death I started experimenting with marijuana and alcohol. This progressed into harder drugs. I loved the high and the feeling of not caring what others think. My family begged me to stop.

I eventually stopped using these drugs but found myself having a eating disorder. I turned bulemic. It is as if I can''t cope with some sort of addiction in my life.

I currently smoke sigarettes and marijuana on a daily basis. I want to stop but don''t have the motivation to do so. I can''t cope without an ADDICTION!

I need expert advice.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello "Addict",
I am very saddened to hear of the trauma you have been through for the past decade. It is quite clear and understandable that you have struggled to come to terms with not only with your father's death, but with the manner in which he died. You turned to which ever means helped you to become emotionally numbed and changed substances or addictions as soon as the existing method wore off. This is often referred to "cross addiction", where one form of addicting is exchanged for another to get the same numbing effect. I suggest that you either consider entering the fellowship like Narcotics Anonymous or Eating Disorders Anonymous, or if you can afford it, see a psychologist and start working towards an abstinence from addiction and then addressing your underlying emotional pain. You should also look at what social support system you have. Please email me if you would like a referral to someone in your area.
Regards and best wishes,