Question
Posted by: Emma | 2008/06/30

Life's a B....

Hi CS,

I know you are going through a difficult time right now. But may I just for once feel sorry for myself this morning? I live on my own, have a stable job even if it does not pay well - I should not complain. But I have CP, I have now fallen twice quite badly, both times I hit my head. I am sitting here at work feeling very sore and just want to cry. Plus I found out last week that my insurance broker has swindled my out of about R5000.00 by changing my investment and now she has left her company. She assured me that the change over would not cost anything!!! Shame on her for picking on a trusting disabled person!

I know that in the big picture of life my problems are of no importance, but sometimes I just wish this constant stuggle called life would end.

Thank you for your shoulder to cry on.....

Hey, it ought to have been an extra paragraph in the constitution ( that marvellous work of fiction !) that everyone is entitled to feel sorry for themselves now and then. Being disabled too, I understand that feeling of vulnerability, when you recognize that you might take a fall that would be hard to get up from, and there might be nobody to notice. One has to find ways to plan one's life and safeguards to minimize such risks, but it's never easy.
And of course to have been exploited is a bitter experience. I hope you insist on speaking to that broker's most senior reachable boss, and explain what she did and how she lied, and see if they can remedy it in some way.
And in any competent big picture of life, your problems are at least as important as anyone else, and more important than some. Of course you don't want to appear a drama queen, but don't lock yourself into denial, either --- one of our tasks with a disability is to recognize when to acknowledge the help we need, and to accept it gracefully. And to gently educate others as to the routine problems some of us suffer.
and--
I suspect they're called Brokers, because the break things.

2
Posted by: vjb | 2008/06/30

hi Emma
i work in the industry and you must not just accept this.... please follow the matter up with the company where your investment is..... and advise them in writing of you situation... u can lay a complaint to the Ombudsman : 021 6740330. hope this helps you.

Reply to vjb
Posted by: Emma | 2008/06/30

Sorry CS, my posting is not very clear. I fell once at the begining of May and last night, that is why I am so sore and down today. People at work don't even know that I am in pain, as I don't want to appear as a drama queen. they just don't understand about the problems CP sufferes face.

Reply to Emma