Posted by: Anon for this | 2008-11-25

Life policy

Dear Doc.

4 years ago I applied for a life policy and took the blood test, few weeks later the Sales Rep called me saying that my policy was declined and I should go to my doctor as they sent my results there, I did not pluck up the courage to do that. I am not sick or anything, just wondering if it is only HIV that can make life policy to be declined? Until now I do not know what those results were. I never had any blood test after that, the bottom line is I do not know my status and I want to have a baby. How do I go about this as I am very scared to know.

Dear Anon for this
There are many other reasons why a policy will be declined ( high cholesterol, inherited diseases etc) You should ideally have blood tests to exclude STD's and HIV before you have a baby, to prevent your baby being born with diseases or to prevent miscarriages. They will do counselling before and after the test to let you know exactly what you should or should not do if you test positive for anything. Not knowing is not going to change the consequences if you are positive, at least you will then be able to take action to prevent complications! Be Brave and just do it!

Posted by: Anon for this | 2008-11-26

Thank you very much for your replies, as Dr Bets is saying I should be brave and face the consequences, I will do just that.

Thanks a lot.

Reply to Anon for this

I wanted to take out a study policy for my the 2year old and they declined cause she was diabetic and this was due to the risky part of luife insurance cover. So do check it out for health benifits.