Question
Posted by: dw | 2012/07/24

life coach vs psychologist vs psychiatrist

I am totally shocked. My friend did a 3 month life coaching course and is now starting to see clients. She is charging R450 per hour because she has just started out. This is how much my psychologist charges me and she has a degree plus years of experience!!! My friend says that experienced life coaches charge up to R850 per hour - my psychiatrist who has a medical degree only charges R800. Companies are now hiring life coaches for their staff and paying this amount. I cant believe how ludicrous this is!!!!

SUch charges are ridiculous. I consider "Life coaching" to be borderline quackery. It is not a profession at all, has no formal recognition or recognized scope, curriculum or standards, no ethical code of conduct and no disciplinary procedures to deal with "coaches" who are incompetent, exploitative or even dangerous.
I know of not a shred of believable scientific evidence that ANYTHING "Life coaches" do is of the slightest value or benefit to their clients, apart from possible placebo effect.
Companies who hire Life Coaches are apparently run by idiots, are wasting shareholders or investors money on providing worthless services - and I bet the same companies restrict how much their workers can spend on Medical Aid for Psychological or Psychiatric services.
I wouldn't send even a budgie to a "Life Coach" for any reason whatever.

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/12

Life coaches change lives, their courses are costly, they are regulated. A yoga teacher that studies for a month charges R450 too. It is really about one's need.

Posted by: Myself | 2012/07/24

Wow dw where did your friend did a course. I am an aspiring LC. Doc google it it is Profession now and yaah I can share more with you if you are interested.

Reply to Myself
Posted by: Maria | 2012/07/24

Your psychologist and psychiatrist are quite cheap. But I agree with you, R450 for a life coach just starting out is a bit steep. However, more power to your friend if she can get people to pay it.

Reply to Maria