Question
Posted by: Fortunate | 2008/09/05

life can be unfair at times

CS and all

I love my job - for the first time in my life - I can actually say that!!! I am a personal assistant -have a great relationship with my boss and immediate department colleagues. The problem is the Head of another department which is on the same floor as ours. I think he is a prick - doesn' t greet anyone except those that are closest to him. One lady held the door open for him and he did not even have the decency to say thank you. I' ve helped him out a few times when his p.a was off ill, he wouldn' t greet me still or say thank you! Now my problem is that he is trying to poison my boss - unfortunately my boss can see right through him but it gets to me! The other day i was in tears because of him. I share responsibilities with his p.a of which other people were not aware of. I informed everyone what each did and guess what??? He blew things out of proportion, saying that i am telling his p.a what to do and all and yet we both agreed on our respected duties. I wanted to die, luckily my boss did " major"  damage control. I don' t understand why is he like that...

You bet it can be unfair. I know that from personal experience, as well as from all the people I have worked with over the years. Continue to discuss this situation with your boss, so he can remain aware of what this nasty guy is up to ; apparently he already knows about this. And make it clear to your boss how very happy you are in working for him, and how you appreciate his skill in seeing through the other guy. Isn't it possible for your boss to arrange for him and his PA to share with someone else ( unfortunate person ! ) rather than with you ? OR to confirm what the division of tasks will be ?
Don't worry about trying to figure out why he's like that --- I'll bet he himself doesn't mknow the answer to that. You don't need to understand him, just to avoid him where possible, and to work, maybe even with a few counselling sessions, on becoming invulnerable to him --- mif you dont't give him the power, and don't allow him to upset you so, this will disappoint him, but leave you unharmed.

1
Posted by: oza | 2008/09/06

Fortunate
Hi I can relate to your emotions and feelings on this matter, been there learnt the hard way.
If I can offer some advise perhaps the company you work for has a training program try get on a course to deal with people in supervisory levels the ways and means of taking the barb out of the issue, or seeing a situation for a different perspective.
If your company does not offer this, try find a part time course to do you can only benefit from it the world is full of different people and one things for sure we would love to get on with every one but we will not that’ s a fact, a supervisors course or relationship course may give that edge next time to steer the issues in the direction the boss would like to see but be your idea and way.

Reply to oza