Posted by: anon2 | 2009-02-16

I have no interest in anything. I don’ t know what to do with myself when I’ m at home. I work overtime on weekends just to get out. I don’ t read. I don’ t listen to music. I don’ t watch TV. I’ m not interested in sport. I have no hobbies. I’ m not interested in having company. I’ m on the outside looking in. Watching other people living their lives. Somewhere along the way I’ ve lost myself. Maybe I’ ve always be like this and I’ m only noticing it now. I have no will to live. I' m anxious and restless all the time. When I have to talk to someone I can see their lips are moving, but I can’ t understand a word they are saying. All I want to do is to sleep, but only a handful of pills enable me to. I’ m taking Epitec, Wellbutrin, Risperdal, Zolpidem and Rivotril and wonder if the combination is not too strong. The last time I’ ve tried to reduce and stop the medication I landed up in hospital, severely depressed. I don’ t know what to do.

Is there a Depression lurking here ? Depression very typically robs us of pleasure in whatever usually interests us or gives us pleasure. Fortunaely, this reverses when the Depression is properly treated, with meds and/or CBT counselling. Its not clear from your message if it was always like this --- if you NEVER had an interest in anything, or if this represents a change in you. You raise that as a possibility, but if you had always been like this, you would probably not have noticed anything lacking. When you add a sense of the loss of the will to live, and restless anxiety, this could indeed be a Depression.
Now, when you then reveal the raft of meds you are taking, clearly someone must have done a proper psychiatric assessment and diagnosis, to form the basis of these meds. I would not find it acceptable for any GP to prescribe such a combination of meds, without a proper psychiatric referral beforehand. It would not at all surprise me if you felt spaced out and distant. If you are being treated by a psychiarist, make an appointment and discuss these symptoms and whether the combination of drugs could be revised and perhaps more effective. If this treatment is from a GP, then see a psychiatrist asap for a proper re-assessment and discussion

Posted by: Bee | 2009-02-16

This really sounds serious. You could have an anti-social personality disorder! Please go see a psychiatrist.

Reply to Bee