Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2008/07/23

Life

Dear CS
I have no friends. No hobbies. I don’ t read anymore. I don’ t watch TV. I don’ t listen to music. All I have is my work. I’ ve even been working weekends at the suggestion of a psychologist to relieve the anxiety about my work. I’ m so tired. It feels as if my life has ended. There is no future for me. At night I take a sleeping pill when I came home from work, just to end the day. Weekends, I take tranquilizers to sleep the whole weekend. Even at work I hardly speak to anyone. I actually avoid them. Apart from work, I don’ t have any problems. I feel guilty about all of this. I know so many people are ill, poor, scared and hungry and longing for a better life, and I’ m wasting mine. I just feel so dead inside. I’ m taking medication for Bipolar disorder, but maybe I should stop it. Feeling a little high, might just be what I need. I could worry about the consequences of irresponsible behaviour later.

I really wonder what diagnosis the psychologist you saw, made. Maybe you should see a different psychologist or psychiatrist for a full, comprehensive assessment and second opinion, and a discussion of treatment options. Taking all those tranqullizers / sedatives isn't good for you, and if you are depressed, could be adding to the depression. DOn't stop the medication until after you have the second opinion and have discussed this option with the shrink. Maybe a re-adjustment of your meds would improve the situation significantly.