Question
Posted by: Andre | 2012-05-30

Lidocaine infusion

I am to have a 10-day lidocaine infusion for my chronic daily headache. I am frightened about all the side effects, which include psychiatric side effects like hallucinations and paranoia, and whether it will do much. Is this treatment worth it? I have seen every specialist under the sun.

Thank you.

Andree

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Andre,

Before you consider this treatment, please call me on 0825555763 - Dr Shevel - it is better after 4pm or on the weekend

1
Posted by: Jeff | 2012-06-18

I''ve had 3 x 12 day courses of Lidocaine at the NHNN - Depending on dose rate, you will be a little unsteady and feel a little drunk at times. Most people don''t see or hear anything to worry about, I did think that I would see things especially on .60 per hour, but it was only on the last day of treatment that I became unsure about what was going on etc, but once un-plugged everything returned to normal. Remember everyone is different and most things are subjective, but others can affect your way of thinking with this drug, so just check with yourself what you are doing and stay in the hospital if alone. BTW, it works after a few days, and your pain levels will drop, enjoy the ''holiday'' and hopefully it will last!

Reply to Jeff