Question
Posted by: Erina | 2009/10/16

licking syndrome

Hi, I have a 9year old Boerboel who started about 6 weeks ago licking his front paw all the time, this caused a sore which has become about the sixe of a 50c coin now, I have applied cream from my local vet, i tried closing it up for a few days but nothing helps. He is not really licking it anymore but he has now this ugly round pienky/red spot on his front paw which seems as son as he gives it a lick it starts bleeding. Unfortunately my local vet is not in favour of my dog' s teperament and I have been told before that he is vicious, which he is only when he is with strangers. With people visiting me he is fine, he scares the vet and therefore i cant take him there. Normally he has to get sedation before they will go near him. Anything I could do to get rid of this open wound? I t is not -|- , but it looks raw.

Get dog eczema from your vet, give him efazol daily over his food.

3
Posted by: George | 2009/10/22

Also have heard this licking could be the hookworm larvae which penetrate the skin. Take some faeces to the Vet and check for hookworm eggs. If positive start a good deworming regime. Hookworm eggs can remain in property for months before they infect dogs as larvae.

Reply to George
Posted by: Chill | 2009/10/17

Look up ' lick granuloma'  on this site, and on google.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Cybervet | 2009/10/16

Reply to Cybervet