Posted by: Elize | 2011-11-24

Licking and chewing!!

Hi, we have 2 female Jack Russels, a Staffie and 3 cats. The one jack russel is always (when I say always - I really mean A LOT!!) licking and chewing/ sucking the other one''s ears, she also does this with one of the cats. This does not seem to bother either the cat or the other dog, but we find it strange and I was wondering if there might be something wrong, or is this " normal"  behaviour?

Hi Elize

I suspect that you JRT is expressing normal behavior by licking the other animals ears.

Grooming is an essential form of communication between animals in addition to keeping the animals ears clean.

Sometimes this behavior is aberrant such as the behaviors expressed in a condition called compulsive canine disorder - if this is the case then your JRT may require training/medication to resolve the problem - please discuss this with the website's behaviourist.

Kind regards

Angus Campbell