Question
Posted by: Tracey | 2010-04-14

Licking &  Chewing

I have 2 female sausages of 2 yrs old. They lick everything - the couch, the tiles, the carpet etc. They have a blanket that they chew and swallow the pieces. My garden is full of multi coloured blankie bits. Is there a reason for this licking and chewing and will it harm their intestines?

Dear Tracey
Being left on their own for too long, no walks, not enough interaction.

5
Posted by: Tracey | 2010-04-16

I would like to state that my dogs get alot of attention (in fact, they rule my roost) and have a big garden for excercise. They get taken to the local sportfield twice a month for some freedom. I cannot believe that they are licking and chewing due to being left alone too long, no walks or lack of interaction. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Reply to Tracey
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-04-16

Dear Tracey

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Sandra | 2010-04-14

Put them out. They are so cute though. Who would like to take mine?

Reply to Sandra
Posted by: I. sCHOLTZ | 2010-04-14

Our Sausage is 10 years old and licks between her toes until it becomes raw. Lately she is licking and chewing a little higher up the leg. How can this be treated???

Reply to I. sCHOLTZ
Posted by: Yolande | 2010-04-14

We have 3 sausages, 2 female and 1 male. between 4yrs and 7yrs old and they do exactly the same thing! The chewing of their blankets is more the two females, but they all lick everything. We try to discourage it, but at least they have not had any health complications from it. When they look at you with those big beautiful pleading eyes......you would give them anything.

Reply to Yolande