Posted by: Celine | 2009-09-12

lichen simplex chronicus

Dear Dr,
I' m a 35yr old female. About a year ago, I was diagnosed with lichen simplex chronicus. Infact the disease has been with me for more than 20 years and no Doctor had ever told me the exact name of the disease and none has also tested a patch of the affected area except last year. I was then given medication such as prednisone which drastically increase my weight and also some cream to apply on the affected area. But after several months, no change was seen. I then decided to stop the entire medication and after a few days I started seeing some changes. The dark thicken skin on the affected area started becoming lighter and the skin looks much better everyday. I also avoided scratching the affected area. I was finally hoping to live a more feminine livestyle as I had been wearing trousers all these years trying to cover the affected skin. But, about two weeks ago, I discovered the skin around the affected area has begin to thicken and darken again. I' m really frustrated and do not know what to do again. Please Dr, I really need your help as this disease is now driving me crazy. Thank you.

In essence, it is very important to treat the pruritus/itching of the skin. Scrathing the lesions, will make it larger and the condition worse. I suggest that you try Ativan SL 1mg, twice daily, as well as Prurata tablets, twice daily, in order to take the itching away. These tablets do not contain any cortico-steroids and should not increase your weight. Ativan is a product directed to alleviate tension and anxiety and LSC is linked to anxiety. You can apply a moderate topical steroid, like Repivate, twice daily to the affected area.

Unfortunately, the above medication is only available on prescription and you will therefore, have to consult your doctor.

Refer to the following link regarding LSC: