Posted by: Mercy | 2009-01-20

Lichen simplex chronicus

Good day Doctor,
I was diagnose with lichen simplex chronicus and was given Predisone tables (to take for a period of one month) and lenovate cream to apply on the pigmentation. However, after two months of application, I' ve seen no improvement. Is there any other medicine you could prescribe for me? Thank you in advance. Mercy.

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Mercy

The medication you have been given is essentially to treat the symptoms of the condition. Very often the underlying cause is as a result of an increase in one's stress levels.

If, in fact, you are under inceased pressure, or just persistant high levels of stress, this is where you should start in terms of looking to completely resolve the condition.

There are many different 'stress management' options, however, simply looking for a 'pill'. whether natural or not, rarely resolves the problem.

Underlying the skin irritation is very often a state of systemic inflammation. There are some very effective natual anti inflammatory products that may give you relief while addressing your stress level. Consult with a reputable health shop in your area and they should be able to adivse you.

Regards, Kevin

Posted by: Heksie | 2009-02-23

Dear Mercy 

I was diagnosed (via skin biopsy and lab tests) to be suffering from LSC. That was 14 years ago. I tried everything, and I am now persuaded that the condition is stress related. I' ve been medically boarded from my profession in 2007. Allthough I used pills for stress, I have not found anything that worked. A year or 2 ago, I found a medical Dr, practicing as a homeopath who gave me drops and little pills to swallow, as well as a formula (obtainable from Dis-chem). That helped and I did not get the same outbursts. However, it is expensive, and the white spots do not disappear. At this stage, I have sores on my legs and arms (only where the skin is exposed to sumlight) again- due to stress. If you hear of anything that could help - I am also interested.

Hang in there - you are not alone!

Reply to Heksie