Question
Posted by: lisa | 2008-11-11

lichen planus

hello doctor

i know you are just a normal GP, but maybe you can help me a bit?
i went to a new gynae and explained to her that my previous gynae put me on medication after medication after medication! but nothing resolved my thrush and disharge. she took a pap smear and it showed a severe thrush infection. she put me on sporanox (4 tablets) and canestan vaginal cream for 5 days. i went back for a follow up app and i told her the medication she prescribed did not work, and now she is telling me i might have lichen planus, because my uterus is all red and swollen. she wants to do a punch biopsy next week. what should i expect? she didnt have much time to see me today, so couldnt get too much info. have you ever seen a case of this lichen planus before??

thanks!

Dear Lisa
Yes, I saw this before, it is not as uncommon as one thinks. It is an inflammatory disease of mucous membranes, so you can get this in the vagina or the mouth. It can also cause white spots or streaks that look like candida (thrush) but you can't scratch it off like candida, and if you take a swab, nothing grows.
See http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/23069057/

If your gyne found thrush when taking the papsmear, you may be one of those people that may need to take a longer course of antifungal medication, together with using probiotics 3 times a day - longterm. One also has to determine if you have an underlying condition that makes you more susceptible, like diabetes, anemia or low white blood cell count. If you are on a contraceptive pill, changing the brand of pill may make a difference. Thrush infection of your sexual partner should also be excluded with a swab.
See http://dermnetnz.org/fungal/pdf/vulvovaginalcandidiasisvaginalthrush-dermnetnz.pdf

Hope this helps!