Question
Posted by: Sandy | 2011/04/21

Lice on kids hair

Morning Doc,

Please can you help me urgently. I am in a state of panic. This morning I found that my daughter has lice in her hair. Please advise. How can I treat this?

Hallo Sandy
Firstly - relax and get used to it..all of us had children come home from school with lice! It seems as if one can't avoid it these days. Wash her hair with anti-lice shampoo like Gambex or Lyclear (read the package instructions carefully and follow strictly - do not keep the shampoo on longer than indicated as it is absorbed by the skin and can be toxic to the child if used wrong) Rinse with 1-2 litres of water mixed with half a cup of vinegar. Then comb out the hair with a fine lice comb over a white sheet so that you can kill any (still living) lice you find. I used Paraspray, sprayed lightly over the hair, first from the top and then from the bottom child bending over (cover face with a towel) to prevent re-infection. Good luck! Dr Bets

3
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2011/04/22

Hallo Sandy

Posted by: Lady Friend | 2011/04/21

Our daughter just had lice, but she is no longer scratching, so treatment was successful. We used Controlice spray application. R80 a bottle at Clicks. Use half the bottle for 1st application, then 2nd half for 2nd application, 5 - 7 days apart. Spray whole scalp, up to 10 cm away from sculp, work in wiht your fingers and let your daughter sit for 15 -20 minutes for the stuff to work. Then shampoo her hair and brush as vigorously as possible as it''s drying or dry (say outside) to loosen nits (eggs). Re-apply spray again, no later than 7 days afterwards. DO be careful not to get spray in eyes and this product has a very strong smell of liquorice!! Good Luck!

Reply to Lady Friend
Posted by: Cutie | 2011/04/21

There are great shampoo''s available in the Chemist to treat lice. It is easy and effective.
Then, just one other thing...... lice like clean hair so do not wash the childs hair more than necesasary while lice is around in the svchool etc.

Reply to Cutie