Posted by: Lou | 2009-01-29

It seems with the topic of Lice one arrives at a dead end! There is a lice outbreak at my daughters school (in fact, there is almost always a lice crisis at her school!) - I know that Gambex is too dangerous to use, but is there something else one can buy or get a script for?? Nitagon is no longer effective, as the lice seem immune to it. I have managed (I hope) to get rid of my daughters lice, but her hair is long and very thick, and I cant go through this problem again!!!! PLease help....

many thanks

Dear Lou
Gambex or Lycleer is not dangerous to use if you follow the instructions carefully and not leave it on the child's head for longer than necessary. The instances of poisoning happened when parents left the shampoo too long (even overnight) or used it too often. I even had a mother that sprayed Doom on the poor child's head - dangerous!

Herbal anti lice shampoos are available ( Dischem and Margaret Roberts have products). I used a lice shampoo like Gambex, then rinsed with water with a bit of vinegar in it, and after blow drying, I covered my childs face and asked her to bend over, I then sprayed her long hair just very lightly with Paraspray - avoiding contact of the Paraspray with any skin - to prevent re-infection.
Good luck, hope this helps a bit.