Question
Posted by: Sue | 2010/05/11

Lexamil &  Eglonyl while breastfeeding

Hi there, I''m currently being treated for antenatal depression by my GP. She has prescribed Lexamil. I''m also using Eglonyl due to the fact that I''m breastfeeding (she''s aware of this). I just have a few questions if you don''t mind:
1) Is it fine to use Eglonyl together with Lexamil? Eglonyl on its own hasn''t had the desired effect to treat the antenatal depression.
2) Is it fine to use Lexamil while breastfeeding?
3) I''ve noticed a serious decrease in my breastmilk since I''ve started using the Lexamil (I manage to milk out only 100ml per day compared to 400ml per day before I started with the Lexamil). Could this be caused by the Lexamil?
4) I''ve read that Lexamil can cause weight gain. My doctor did not tell me this. Does it cause the weight gain due to the nature of the medicine, or does it cause an increased appetite which causes the weight gain? I''m trying to figure out what I can do to prevent this from happening.
Thank you so much!

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Sue,

In general LEXAMIL is not recommended for use during pregnancy because it is excreted in human breastmilk. However, because the levels found in milk is relatively low (and probably below level of concern) it is sometimes used in lactating women. In general, so long as the infant is monitored carefully AND the risk to benefit ratio balances to the benefit side of the equation, then it is worth treatment. This does however needs a careful discussion with your GP.

2
Posted by: Ash | 2016/02/03

Hi there, I would like to find out, I've been on Leximal for almost two weeks now & discovered last night while I was in the shower that I have breast milk, is this normal & does Leximal do this to a person? I am not pregnant so it can't be because of that. Could someone explain please?

Reply to Ash
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/05/12

Hi Sue,

Reply to pharmacist