Question
Posted by: icon | 2008/07/04

Lexamil 20mg

Hey there

i have i LITTLE problem.... i have been smoking marijuana for approx 8.5 years. i never smoke during wrking hours and i am not a heavy smoker. i will maybe have some before i go to bed or maybe on the weekends. I dont even smoke cigarettes. since saturday i have been taking Lexamil and my Psyciatrist has advised me to not consume any alcohol, so since then i havent had one drink or even a puff. i dont have Dt's or anything, but i want to know if i do have a an occasional puff (for example on a weekend) would it affect my medication drastically? i want to get better with my anxiety disorder but sometimes i feel a puff relaxes me. Like i sad, since i started on my new meds, i havent touched a thing.i know its illegal and all that, but i just want an honest opinion.

I gather that Pexamil is a generic Escitalopram ( and thank goodness, then, a cheaper alternative to the horibly over-promoted Cipralex ). Alcohol is never a good combination with ANY antidepressant or indeed many other drugs, and f course as it is primarily a brain depressant, its not good stuff to take when depressed, anyway. Marijuana is also not really good for the brain, and may cause worse problems if one has some inborn tendency towards psychotic illnesses. ANd with any drug like alcohol or marijuana that affects brain function, withdrawal from it can also disturb chemical balances.
SO, as you have managed to do without the marijuana for some days, you know its a behavioural habit and not a dependency with you --- so why not stop it anyhow ? The aim of your treatment ( and personally, I'd add some CBT counselling to it, as that is great and with lasting benefits for both depression and anxiety ) will be to give you control over the anxiety symptoms WITHOUT needing anything more, whether marijuana or not. Its interesting that apparently you cope fine with work anxieties without smoking it, and smoke it nights and weekends when presumably your anxiety levels would be lower, anyway.