Question
Posted by: A | 2011-02-03

Lexamil

I was wondering if you can maybe help me re the Lexamil antidepressant? My gynae prescribed it to me as I suffer from severe PMS. I got the 10mg one. Been on it now for 3 days but the side effects are sooooo hectic. I''''m nauteous (spelling), tired, drowsy, don''''t feel like eating, I really feel DRUGGED!! According to the gynae it would take a week like this before feeling better. It''''s supposed to be a happy pill right?? Now I feel like crap!

I can''''t operate like this and need to know if it really does get better or not. Otherwise I''d rather be moody and emotional 3 weeks of the month than feeling like this 24/7.

Thanks for your help.

OK, a gynae would not prescribe such drugs without fully describing their benefits, risks and side-effects. With such meds, all side-effects are most noticeable in the early days, and usually get better noticeably after the first week. Similarly, your pharmacist should not dispense such meds without both discussing side-effects, and providing the package insert which lists all such effects and cautions.
Lexamil is a generic form of Escitalopram, a popular antidepressant which is a rather recent one. I have not seen research showing it to be effective in PMS, though it might indeed be helpful, as some of its older relatives can be
Nausea is a typical early side-effect, and that includes some loss of appetite. Drowsiness is also well known.
Maybe i'd be worth seeing a psychiatrist for a broader consideration of alternative antidep[ressants, as there are very many to choose from, and we each vary as to whether we experience mild, tolerable or intolerable side-effects on each of them.

1