Posted by: Shelley | 2009-03-24

I am on Lexamil to help control my panic disorder - please can you tell me how effective it is in this instance and what the side effects are?

Is there anything I should avoid while taking this medication (eg other medications, alcohol etc)

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Shelly

Escitalopram (the active ingredient of lexamil) is very effective in treating panic and anxiety disorders.

You may experience increased anxiety at the beginning of treatment, but this should clear within 14 days. At first youmay also find that it may affect your appetite, make you feel dizzy or sleepy, or give you headache, but most of these symptoms should clear within a week or two.

Take as little alcohol as possible while taking this medication. Also avoid taking any over the counter (including herbal) medication for anxiety or depression.

i hate what every the drug is called it dont get me high enough