Question
Posted by: Sue | 2008/08/14

Lexamil

My husband was diagnosed with depression. The doctor described Lexamil and I would like to now what the side effects of these medicine are so that I would recognize them if they occur. Can sleep disturbances, for example, occur?

He should have asked the doctor to outline side-effects, and should have insisted that the pharmacist both do the same, AND provide a copy of the Package Insert which will in print outline all those side-effects, precautuions, etc. In my opinionm any pharmacist who fails to provide package inserts when filling a prescription is behaving unethically and unprofessionally.
Lexamil seems to be a generic ( cheaper but equivalent ) version of Escitalopram, very recently launched. And supposed to have fewer side-effects than other ADs. It can, however, produce any of the side-effects seen with other members of the SSRI family, and that can include sleep disturbances.

57
Posted by: Zaahidah | 2016/08/10

I've been on Cipralex 20mg on and off over years. Eventually my psychiatrist changed me to Lexamil 20mg. It worked fine. Even my libido increased! I eventually went off after 2-3 years at a time then only started up when my life was in crisis.... divorce.... new demanding job.... difficult finances etc. Eventually, in my 40's went on to Lexamil but I put on weight (Lexamil makes you happy and you lose your stress-causing appetite inhibition. Then dr changed me to Wellbutrun 300 XL ...slow release.... this worked well for months/years but later made me irritabe. Eish. Guess what im back on Lexamil 10mg.... works well, just about a 3kg weight gain which I can live with, for feeling better. Otherwise I found it difficult to cope without Lexamil.... easily stressed, cry easily, sad, feel hopeless. So definitely, Lexamil works for some people like myself, very well. Thank God!

Reply to Zaahidah
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/07

My son has ocd anduse lexamil andstratera. He went to visit mmom and forgot to drink his lexamil for 4 days . Now he wash hnds again alot and he says the words i think before every second word. Can i just help him to start to just drink the lexamil again wil it help and how long wil it take before it works

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/26

I have just lost my son and my doctor wants to change me from Espiride to Lexamil, I seriously are so afraid of anti depressants and just reading all these comments are so confused on what to do! I have been told it is just corrects the synapse that goes faulty after extreme stress. So I really don't know what to do.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/05/25

Rivotril – epilepsy anticonvulsant Etomine - Neuroleptic agent Zoxadon 1 (Risperdal) – antipsychotic Venlor – Antidepressant Authyrox – (Lethyrox) – thyriod Hormones Lexamil – Antidepressant (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) Pearinda- Bloodpressure Epitec – Anticonvulsant Yelate - Selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor The above list is what a person is drinking currently for Bipolar. It seems most of the medication is exactly the same. Can it be that this person is overdosing maybe?

Posted by: KD | 2016/02/11

I have been using Lexamil 10mg for like 5 months now and I'am currently studying for my exams and I feel like my brain is dead. I tried all the tricks in the book but nothing works. I cant seem to grab what is written on the text books its like I just turned blank. Can someone advice on what could be wrong.

Reply to KD | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Ms | 2016/03/22

Do you drink while on lexamil

Posted by: Candice | 2016/01/31

I suffer with severe anxiety attacks everyday feels as though I can't control my mind an everything is closing in. I have even on Azor 0.5mg and it usually work like a charm, however it is very addictive and my Dr has now put me in Lexami 10mg. I am starting tomorrow. Any advice? Can I take Azor if I donto feel any effects with lexamil? How bad are your anxiety attacks?

Reply to Candice | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/08/01

I've been diagnosed with a severe panic disorder where i literally faint due to over hyperventilating . i currently use Lexamil 20mg with Dopaquel 5mg . During a exam it is a good idea to take these purple pills called Purblocka which rids of any panic attack symptoms and improves on concentration levels . It has no drowsy side effects.

Posted by: Pieter | 2015/10/27

I' ve been on Lexamil 5 mg for 4 months now. I had headaches for about a month but then it stopped. I feel much better than before, small things don't seem to stress me out so much and I can manage various tasks as well. I ride mtb and motorcycle and found that my balance started to improve and I am more open to taking risks. Girlfriend also doesn't complain as I can last longer.

Reply to Pieter
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/11

I am on Lexamil 20mg for more than a month now and I struggle to keep my eyes open I just want to sleep all the time. And I forget things feels as if I am in a trans. At first I struggle with my breathing but I feel less stressed and anxious.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/11/25

Why not try take 10mg in the morning and 10mg before you go to bed?

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/08/05

HOW DO I STOP USING LEXAMIL? I WANT TO COPE ON MY OWN!! HAVENT USED IT FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW, FORGOT, NOW IM FEELING DIZZY ALMOST LIKE A CONSTANT HEADACHE BETWEEN MY EYES. WILL THIS GO AWAY? I HAVE ALSO GAINED ALOT OF WEIGHT! I CANNOT STOP EATING!

Reply to Anonymous | 3 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/03

Headaches last the first month then it should disappear. Your body is just adjusting

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/03

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/26

hi anon , i am taking the same as you ,it is not suggested that you suddenly stop taking your medication unless you've discussed with your doctor and have been approved by your doctor

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/16

Can someone please give advice. Been on laxamil 10 now for a month and i cant seem to orgasm and low sex drive. Is this normal does it go away?

Reply to Anonymous | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/16

I am on this aswell, if you are a man, I can give you some advice, you can add USN's TESTO max or similar product when you drink your Lexamil in the mornings, it will give you your sex drive back... getting the orgasm does take a little more time though, and more concentration, but normally the women don't mind.

Posted by: Lee | 2015/07/27

This is normal if you drink Lexamil, sorry this does not go away, I was on Lexamil for 9 years, I am of it for 3 months now, I am a totally different person, will never in my live drink Lexamil again.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/09

I have been on cipralex for 3 years about and it's really worked for me. If I skipped my pills I'd have terrible withdrawals but otherwise I felt great. I recently felt like it stopped working and I've been feeling depressed so my doctor doubled my dosage . I asked the pharmacy for the generic, lexamil because it's so expensive to pay for cipralex in double doses. I've been on the generic for 2 days and I am exhausted,angry, depressed, and feel alone. I have no energy or happy feelings. Will this go away??

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/09/11

I went from cipralex to lexamil and also felt really odd....it went away after about 10 days but I am going back onto cipralex as I definitely felt better when taking it.

Posted by: gillian | 2015/03/03

started lexamil yesterday and had vomiting and upset stomach. Thought I'd caught a bug! Didn't shout at my kids today though - probably to early to really say though!

Reply to gillian | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/26

Hi Gillian ,give it a month it will work i promise , i wasn't eating for 2 weeks as i could not taste food and after a month i suddenly got seriously depressed but I'm so good ,haven't felt like this for years , let the medication adjust.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/06/16

Hi, I have been on lexamil.20mg for years and these are the best yers of my life, I cant than God enough as my life was heading for a crash, I just dont think everyone is the same for some it will work but not for others, I hope you get a tablet that works for you, today I can joke about being on lexamil for so long, I am 35 years old and took them since 2006 when my mom passed away, I now say I take a tablet to have a personality, im very happy with lexamil

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/10/10

I was not lexamil for the past four months, I was having a constant cough and my psychiatrist refused to accept that the coughing is caused by lexamil, then I went to my GP and did all the tests I can think of and all were negative. The I decided to stop them for a weekend and was not coughing much after that then continued, but the cough started again, now I stopped them permanently, but I can't cope and I don't want to go back. Need some natural antidepressants.

Reply to Anonymous | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Mika | 2016/03/16

Biral - A bunch of nonsense, costing you R200,00 a box. Mixture of Passion Flower and Valerian Root. Does absolutely nothing!

Posted by: Llewellyn | 2015/12/09

Try Biral, it is a natural antidepressant, and is also safe to use while drinking any alcohol. Definitely something worth to try out, and you can take quite a few right through the day with no side effects.

Posted by: lorraine | 2014/09/25

oh boy! i received a script from my doctor for lexamil today, but after reading through this page there is no chance in hell i'll ever take these pills. i'm coping on urbanol

Reply to lorraine | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/10/26

Lorraine i would encourage you to take it ,medication reacts different for different people.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/10/27

I used Urbanol. It is not so much an antidepressant - more for anxiety. It can also addictive. I have been on Lexamil for 4 weeks - it has changed my life. I wish I had started sooner. :-)

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/08/21

Lexamil is awesome! I was a hardcore raver in the 90's and chowed plenty ecstasy, acid, cocaine, cat, dagga and shrooms. And guess what? I had a bloody good time! I miss those days. So my wife scored some Lexamil and we love it! We shag like bunnys have lost weight and got super lean and when you chomp more than 10 it is like a candy flip ?

Posted by: Naas | 2014/08/07

I Have been on lexamil 10mg for 5 months now and had some sleepless nights and the weirdest dreams ever,it all passed within the 3rd month,must say that I have lots of energy and just want to stay busy all the time,very low sex drive though,however I have a few drinks now and then...the next day it feels like I want to die,very miserable,sluggish and feel so dumb,so I have stopped drinking totaly,we will see how it goes...

Reply to Naas
Posted by: PEGS | 2014/06/28

I have used lexical for a year now, I once wean myself out of it and I had bad withdrawal symptoms I had to use them again. The problem is the weight now. I can't handle it.

Reply to PEGS
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/05/12

Been on Lexamil 10mg for some months now. Took a week or so to adjust - but nothing hectic. Working for me ! saving grace in a very hectic and anxious time.

Posted by: Adele | 2014/05/05

Goodness, reading all these feeds have finally given me answers. i have never felt so sick in my life even when i was getting regular seizures. i started on lexamil about a month ago and lamotrogine about 3 - 4 months ago for epilepsy. i am constantly tired, feel groggy, I've had flu twice, bladder infection and i am so irritated and have such a low sex drive. Has anyone noticed sensitivity to light and noise? i have gained weight and the migraines are getting unbearable. all this was prescribed by a neurologist and i was not informed of these severe side effects. i was so depressed and one stage due to the meds that i felt i couldnt go on. Has anyone been on this for a long time? do these side effects ever go away?

Reply to Adele | 2 comments (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/07

I've been on Lexamil for almost 3 weeks and I have constant grogginess and tired and like my brain is not here, don't know how I cope during the day at work... started taking them early evening now which is a bit better but no idea if this will get better and by the way, no mood improvement yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2015/07/07

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/13

I've been using Lexamil for a month now. have experienced no weight gain at all. I have little to no sex drive and a poor appetite. I drink it every morning, felt a bit dizzy for about a week but still get a headache every day after drinking the Lexamil. So there are some side effects for me but once I got used to the meds I can't really complain about anything but the headaches.....

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/10/27

I have find that it works better when I drink it at around 19:00. If later, then I tend to have less energy in the morning.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/01/21

I am on Lexamil and after 2 weeks of side effects suddenly they all went away and I felt great. I've just gone on to the 20 mg to help with anxiety and I'm struggling to sleep but I don't think it's a bad one to take in terms of what is available.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/11/20

I am om Lamotrogine and was prescribed Lexamil yesterday. I already gained weight, am irritaded, don't sleep properly and have no sex drive. After reading above comments, I do not think I want to go get the meds. Will have to find another way to cope.

Posted by: Anonymous | 2013/11/05

I was on cipralex then changed to Lexamil. I get like a buzzing weird feeling in my head if I miss a tablet. But now even if I don't miss I still get that feeling in my head, does anyone else experience this. Please help.

Reply to Anonymous | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/02/24

I am on 30mg Lexamil daily. I get the same buzzing feeling (withdrawel symptoms) if I skip a day. Do not skip a day for a couple of months and see if the buzzing goes away.

Posted by: beth | 2013/10/09

I've started using Lexamil approximately 3 months ago. I noticed weight gain, migraines, fatigue, headaches, lower sex-drive and I have become more irritable. Will it pass?

Reply to beth
Posted by: beth | 2013/10/09

Reply to beth
Posted by: Bobsy | 2008/11/27

I Have been on Lexamil for not even two weeks, and have never felt worse in my life. Nausea. headaches, sleeplessness and complete fatigue. I was on Cipralex two years ago and never had these side effects. I think the way to go for me is natural, my body cannot handle these chemicals. Lexamil is shocking !!!

Reply to Bobsy | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/01/02

the nausea passes

Posted by: joan | 2008/11/27

I weaned myself off lexamil about two weeks ago, as I wasnt havent required resluts. I did this over a few weeks and I could cope. However, I then three days ago i weaned myself of one of the two trepiline I have.and feel as if I am going mad. I have tightness and pain across my chest, I feel more anxious, more depressed and every sound seems too loud. Has anyone else had the same problem. Could it be a combination of both drugs being withdrawn shortly after one another?? or just the lexamil.

Reply to joan
Posted by: tankgirl | 2008/11/16

I switched to Cipralex a week ago and I have never felt so exhausted in my entire life! Has anyone else experienced this, and does it pass? I feel I might go out of my mind if I feel like this much longer!

Reply to tankgirl
Posted by: Lyn | 2008/10/28

I have been on lexamil for 3 weeks and oh boy! - I have never felt so bad in my entire life. Had bad headaches, nausea, sleeplessness, irritableness, major depression - I went back to Cipralex and what a difference after 3 days! It' s worth the money using Cipralex. No weight gain on either pill.

Reply to Lyn
Posted by: Zelda Herbst | 2008/10/27

I Have gained 15kg since I started with Cipralex. Is there similar medication I can use that can help me with loose this weight?!

Reply to Zelda Herbst
Posted by: Lin | 2008/09/09

If you can afford to take Cipralex then don' t go for Lexamil. I made the switch to Lexamil and it doesn' t even come close to Cipralex. I finished the month on it then went back to Cipralex - wow what a difference.
My friend also switched to Lexamil after being on Cipralex for 11 years for severe anxiety. He nearly lost his mind to say the least. He went back to Cipralex after a month and he is all back to normal.
Believe me, I can' t really afford the original, but for the way I was feeling on Lexamil I will happily pay for my Cipralex.

Reply to Lin
Posted by: Nicky | 2008/09/04

I went from Cipralex to Lexamil and found the side-effects from Lexamil far more severe. I have a very hard time going to sleep at night and never had this problem with Cipralex. Had diahoree for three days straight when I started with Lexamil. Been on Lexamil nearly a week now, will give it two weeks before making a final decision on whether this is the meds for me or not. Was very happy with Cipralex, but my medical aid forced me to use the generic :(

Reply to Nicky
Posted by: Katie | 2008/09/01

I have found Lexamil to be very effective (after swithching from Venlor after gastric bleeding and weight gain). Although I have not managed to lose any of the 20kgs I put on whilst on the Venlor I have not put on anything further whilst on the Lexamil. I am hoping to wean off the Lexamil soon- anyone done this before? I know I had terrible withdrawals from the Venlor!

Reply to Katie | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: Anonymous | 2014/06/18

I changed from Cipralex to Lexamil a few years ago, with no ill effects. However, I am now weaning myself off the Lexamil and am having extreme dizziness and slight nausea. I have been through these withdrawals before when I have come off Lexamil and know they will pass. It's like giving up smoking....persistence! I am now going for a more natural antidepressant as I want to rid my body of all chemicals.

Posted by: Lulu | 2008/08/28

I have not had any sleep disturbances, but I would like to know if anyone has noticed weight gain on either Cipralex/Lexamil?

Reply to Lulu | 1 comment (hide)
Posted by: William de Villiers | 2014/01/23

extreme weight gain on Lexamil the past 8 years

Posted by: bertha | 2008/08/17

Lexamil is a generic of Cipralex but much cheeper. I have been on cipralex for almost 4 years and must say it has very few side effects. If it causes sleep disturbance it is best to take it in the morning. I am wondering in my case if it is wise to switch from cipralex to lexamil. When on a previous occasion I was on cipramils generic cilift it was ineffective and I landed up in a clinic. Will discuss it with my psychiatrist but was just wondering if people out there who has made the swith found lexamil to be so very effective, since I am always a bit weary of a generic especially when it comes to psyciatric drugs.

Reply to bertha