Question
Posted by: Saturday | 2010/04/17

Lettuce

Hi there Dietdoc

I just want to hear from a reliable source - ie. you, whether it is true that eating a lot of lettuce will cause your stomach to stretch ....sounds so silly, but someone mentioned this....and i LOVE lettuce but dont want to end up eating more on the long run.

thanx

Dear Saturday
Well I must say that in all the years of working in the field of nutrition, I have never heard that lettuce will make your stomach stretch. Lettuce consists mainly of water about 96% with a bit of carbs (1g/100g) and a bit of fibre (1.1 g/100g) and an energy content of 53kJ per 100g. So how this low-energy, mainly water-containing food could cause your stomach to stretch is beyond me.
Enjoy without worrying

1

Dear Saturday
Enjoy without worrying