Question

Letting go of someone

I am seeing someone albeit its a new relationship i have realised that before it gets too serious i need to let this person go. Dont get me wrong there is nothing wrong with our relationship - but when i am in one i tend to get too attached and my heart gets broken. Call it a poisonous pattern of mine. I have been to see a psychologist who has put many things into perspective for me and i hae been able to make wise decisions before they blow up in my face. I know what i have to do but is it fair to break up with someone not because they did something wrong but because i feel that i may become too attached to them and lose who i am in the process.

Its good to hear that seeing the psychologist has helped you to avoid setting up some of these situations which can be hurtful all round. It would probabl be more fair not to enter into such relationships, especially not with nice people, until you have completed the necessary work with your psychologist so as to avoid this unnecessary pattern of excessive attachment, panic, heart-break and sadness. It is very far from inevitable for you to get "too attached" to others, or to "lose who you are". Work on that, which should not take a great deal of time, especially if using modern and effective methods like CB, to get over these bad habits of thought and action, and to become open to mutually fulfilling relationships with others.

1