Posted by: Karen | 2013-02-13

Letting Agent causing me problems

We have given notice on our place. When we took it 2 years ago the letting agent did not do an inspection with us at all. We submitted a Snag List. He now alleges that he did an outgoing inspection with the previous tenants and together with the Snag List we submitted this will suffice in allowing him to deduct from the deposit any damages. There are not any.

I have told him what the Rental Tribunal states and since we never signed anything....

I have contacted the Rental Tribunal and they say this is unfair and we can lodge a complaint. Sure we can, but I need my deposit and they only act 21 days after the complaint has been lodged. In the meantime I must secure another place.

We can''t afford any attorney.

This is causing my sister and I immense stress and I so resent it. People say things like " he can''t do that"  but if people did not do what they cannot do we would not have lawyers and the CCMA and places like that would we.

I am so angry.

Sorry to hear about this. I have no expertise in these areas, and have had extremely bad experiences myself at the hands of estate agents and their ilk.

Posted by: j | 2013-02-13

what I did was i stayed an extra month without paying and then moved out. it is even worse because you have not sighned anything

Reply to j
Posted by: Purple | 2013-02-13

Tenants can most definitely still be evicted but it requires a court process and its very lengthy.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: RIANA | 2013-02-13

is is possible to play this two ways, what can happen if you dont move out untill you have your deposit, and dont pay, apparently there is no law anymore to remove someone with force or by court

Reply to RIANA
Posted by: Purple | 2013-02-13

It sounds really frustrating.

Unfortunately, the rental tribunal and waiting for the complaint to be heard by the rental tribunal would be best.

A strongly worded e-mail to the rental agent pointing out that he is acting contrary to the act, is causing you huge inconvenience and is unprofessional may make you feel a bit better. Perhaps getting hold of the owners details and sending a copy to them too, they might like a more professional agent renting out their investment for them.

Remind the agent that he is meant to have put your deposit in an interest bearing account and that you will be expecting a full account of the interest earned and the full amount with interest.

Reply to Purple