Posted by: links | 2009-03-04

Lemon and maple syrup drink

I have stumbled upon many articles about colon cleansing (one of them through the health24 site). One of the diets associated with this is the lemon and maple syrup drink (made famous by Beyonce). It is basically a min of 10 day diet where you only drink this concoction and nothing else.

My story: I have but 5 kg' s to loose (excess weight after baby). It doesn' t sound like a lot but these last few kilo' s just won' t budge. If I go on the above diet I am sure I will be-able to shed most of (if not all 5kgs) but I do not want to do so and then realise that it is detremental to my health and/or within a month i pick up all the weight again.

What do you think about the above diet ? Also if you don' t recommend this diet what can I do to get rid of the last few kgs?

Really appreciate your assistance.

Dear Links
Congrats on the birth of your baby. I am totally opposed to the use of this 'starvation' diet which only lets you drink lemon juice and maple syrup for 10 days. I know Beyonce uses it and has lost weight with it, but it is so unbalanced and potentially detrimental to health, that I would advise you NOT to use it. In addition, the chances are good that you will regain all the weight you lose and more once you get back to normal eating. To lose weight you need to basically change your lifestyle. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). While you are on the ‘Weight loss’ site, read about every aspect of slimming (starvation diets and fad diets, etc) by surfing on this site. If you use a balanced diet and do 30 min of aerobic exercise every day, you will lose those last 5 kg, but you will not harm you health.