Question
Posted by: raffie | 2009-02-16

legs

i do a reasonable amount of training 6 days per week.(running, stretching, squats) etc. now i have lost some weight on my upper legs. i am 59 years old and would love to add some volume to my legs. not big, maybe the half inch lost?

hope you can help.

raffie

Hi Raffie

Difficult to say, not knowing how long you've been doing this for. Clearly your running has burned fat which is presumably the weight you have lost. If you wish to add muscle, then you need to do more strength work, which you're doing in small amounts with the squats. HOwever, this is where the time will help, because it can take a long time to achieve this increase in muscle mass - months, even. So you may simply need to give it more time and allow the training you're doing to have an effect. But certainly the running and the squats will do that. You might also add lunges. I'm hesitant to recommend that you add weights to your squats at this stage, but that's something you might look at much further down the line.