Posted by: wanna know | 2011-02-14

legal situation

Hi there,

I heard it is possible to change my id book without a sex change surgery. What is the process?

Expert ImageTransgender advisor

The answer is yes! IN 2004 some of our brave brothers and sisters informed parliament that forcing transgender people to have surgeries was a groce violation of their human rights and in very many cases just not possible for them to have. In SA the government hospitals are not assisting people with gender transition services and in the private sector these services are sparse and the biggest part of the population is poverty stricken. It would be rather unreasonable to expect of transgender people to have surgery before they can change their documents wouldn’t you say.

So currently the law says that if medical treatment (hormones) changes your gender presentation you are eligible for a amendment in your id document. You need to fill in two forms which your home affairs office will give you and you need to present two medical reports with your application.

The first has to be from the doctor who gives your hormones and the letter must be simple just saying. " I Dr so and so treats "wanna know" The treatment has resulted in gender reasignment and she/he now presents as male/female.

The second letter just has to be from another doctor and it simply has to confirm the first one.

Please contact us if Home Affairs gives you any instructions contrary to the above. I must warn you they do not apply this law without pressure. Contact me at and I will send you guides for your doctors in this regard. It will help you and them and the home affairs official!

Roberth Hamblin - Advocacy Manager Gender DynamiX