Question
Posted by: Werner Wortmann | 2012/07/02

Legal aspects of noise

Hi, from the article :
" Stop that noise!, - Olivia Rose-Innes, EnviroHealth, Health24, November 2009" 

The following times for no noise is mentioned, in which law or act is this stated?
" What the law says about noise
The law states that you cannot make ‘ unreasonable’  noise at the following times:

Sundays and public holidays
Before 06H00 and after 17H00 on Saturdays
Before 08H00 and after 18H00 on any other day than those listed above." 

Thank You

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

Those times were given to me by the City of Cape Town a few years back, but looking through the national legislation now the only reference I can find relates to use of drills and other noisy construction equipment i.e. not allowed before 6h00 and after 18h00 Mon-Sat, and at no time on Sundays and public holidays. (See Noise Control Regulation - PN 627 of 1998 and Noise Control Regulation - PN 14 of 2007 - DRAFT). There are different regulations in different provinces and cities, but in most cases "unreasonable noise" should not be made after hours.

2
Posted by: Mr D J Whitelocks | 2012/10/28

What does the law class as unreasonable noise.

Reply to Mr D J Whitelocks
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2012/07/04

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert