Question
Posted by: nikki | 2010/09/11

Legal aid board

i was told that i could seek assistance to serve my husb with a divorce since that is what he wants but will not action it via the legal aid board. I am unemployed for 4 yrs now by mutual agrmnt. When i got to the legal aid board they did a means assessment and because we have a house valued at more than R300 000 which is in HIS name i did not qualify for the service. My question is where does someone like myself seek assistance. He only gives me a R3000 allowance per month which pays my cell phone, household account and if i am lucky i have something left for myself from that. Pls point me in the right direction i am based in JHB.

Also is there a free lawyer service i could PHONE for telephonic advice if i am not sure of some of the suggestions my husband is making? pls advice on both the above questions...

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Dear Nikki,
I understand your unhappiness and am also of the view that the Legal Aid Board should, especially in matrimonial matters review there current screening rules. Having said that, you may consider using an online divorce service such as eDivorce loacated at www.edivorce.co.za, if the divorce is uncontested.

You can also email info@divorceattorney.co.za should you need any further advice.

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/09/12

Dear Nikki,

Reply to family law expert