Posted by: flower | 2009-03-04

Leg swelling

I have what seems like water retention (not sure though) on both my ankles. I was born with this and it could be genetic as both my sister and my mother also have this but I have it 10 times worse than they do. It also tends to get sore if you push too hard on the legs. I also have very bad varicose veins. Could this be related?

I have been to numerous doctors who don' t know what it is. Would you be able to lead me in the right direction? Can you maybe give me an idea as to what it is or who I can go and see - as normal GPs don' t seem to be able to help.

Please help me - I am getting quite desperate here.

Dear Flower
You may have congenital ( inborn) lymphoedema. See
If it is there may not be much you can do and wearing compression stockings or getting compression treatment may be your only option. A physician or surgeon is probably the best specialists to see.