Posted by: KM | 2010-11-19

Leg Pains

Hope you can help.
I am experiencing a pain in my lower leg. It feels like it’ s right at the front of the leg in the bone and pains when I flex my ankle. I have noticed that this returned after I started walking again (1km).
When I flex up foot pointing my toes upwards, my leg starts to pain. It’ s a throbbing pain all the way from my knee to my ankle.
Please can you tell me what this could be. This has happened before when I use to walk. I had thus stopped

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Lower leg exertional pain can be from a number of different sites. it is typically related to exercise and gradually gets worse the more you walk. Starting from the bottom of the lower leg in the front of the ankle joint problems in the ankle joint itself may be causing pinching of the joint capsule when pulling the ankle up. Just above this the tendon (tibialis anterior) that lifts the up may develop inflammation. There is often sweling and a leathery crepitus when you move the ankle. Slightly to the inside, on the shin bone itself, one may develop a medial tiabial stress syndrome, an overuse injury due to traction of the calf muscle on bone. This is also a common site for stress fractures of the bone. Finally just to the outside of the shin bone all the way up to the knee the muscles that lift the foot/ankle can develop a compartment syndrome where the sheath around the muscles is to tight to allow the muscles to expand with exercise. Occasionally with race walkers this group of muscles can also cause pain due to poor flexibility.
It is therefore essential to make the distinction between all these entities as the treatment varies.
My suggestion would be to see a reputable sports physician in your area. He can be found at (the sports medicine association).

Posted by: Dr Jl Crane | 2010-11-30

Dear KM
You are describing the symptoms associated with a stress fracture. Unfortunately it does not always show up on x-rays, but may require a bone scan or MRI scan. The usua treatment is anti-inflammatory and 6 weeks rest/crutches.

Jason Crane

Reply to Dr Jl Crane