Posted by: Liesel | 2013-02-11

leg cramps

I have been on a detox program for the past 10 days. No carbs, no sugar, no dairy and no processed foods. Lots of water, rooibos tea, meat, chicken, fish, veg and salad. Lately, I have been getting cramps in my legs during the night and I actually wake up from the pain. Could this be due to the diet?

Dear Liesel
I am sorry to hear that you are suffering from severe leg cramps. Did the leg cramps start soon after you started with the detox programme, or have you been suffering from the leg cramps for a long time and now they have become worse? It is possible that if your liquid intake (which includes all liquids not just water), exceeds 2,5 litres per day, that you are washing essential minerals like sodium, potassium, magnesium and even calcium out of your body. If you are having 'too much liquid' please reduce your intake and see if this does not improve the cramps. If the latter do not improve after about 10 days of a normal liquid intake, I would recommend that you have a medical checkup and ask the doctor to check your so-called electrolyte levels.
Take care