Question
Posted by: Carol shore | 2010/11/08

Leg cramps

My 79yr old mother suffers terribly from leg cramps at night, waking up 2/3 times per night. Can you suggest medication?

Hallo Carol
You may need to have her potassium, magnesium and calcium blood levels checked to see if she needs supplements. At her age I would strongly advise that you don't just give supplements without knowing the actual blood levels as overdose of Calcium or potassium can cause heart problems. It could be caused by medication she takes like blood pressure medication, so let her doctor check her medication too. Stretching the muscle and putting heat on the area usually helps to relieve a cramp.

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/11/08

Hallo Carol