Question
Posted by: Sally Burrows | 2009-08-15

left upper arm pain

5 years ago I picked up a heavy TV and put it on a shelf above shoulder level and had immediate pain but this subsided over time with on and off pain over the years. Now for the past month i have constant pain in the left upper arm with certain maneuvers, i.e. as a passenger putting my left arm on the windlow ledge of the car, changing gears, cross-body reaching, lifting the arm up more so with the elbow extended outwards, pulling a blanket over me when lying down using my left arm, tc. I have also begun dropping things held in my left hand, not much but three items in one week. I went to see an orthopaedic surgeon yesterday and he said it could be a biceps tear or supraspinatus tear and gave me an injection of 6 mg Celestone Sol and 2% Peterkaien into the shoulder area and so far this has been ineffective and now I Ihave a constant dull ache in the shoulder as well as the existing pain when moving the arm in certain directions. I have full strength of the arm and that was tested yesterday. I am baffled and wonder if you have any ideas as to what this is, could it be related to the injury 5 years ago. Any suggestion please? Thank you

Expert ImageShoulder Doc

Dear Sally,

The incident 5 years ago would not have caused the present pain.

You may any of a few causes for your shoulder pain: that one would diagnose by examination, X-ray and sometimes ultra-sound scan and rarely even MRI scan. Look at our website at www.shoulderinstitute.co.za and specifically at "shoulder pain" and you may get a few clues about your problem

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: benjamin williams | 2009-10-26

Wife has consant pain in upper right arm even unable to sleep.
NB : Did not pick up any heavy objects.

Reply to benjamin williams