Posted by: Nikkie | 2010-06-02

left side of face numb

I woke up last week Tuesday and my left side of the face was numb, there is no functionality, only the right side has any kind of feeling, my left eye is constantly watery and I sometimes get a slight strike feels like a light headache and the upper jaw on my left next to the ear gets a sharp pain. What could this be am so worried as now I can''t even smile properly my mouth just shifts to the right each time I try to talk or smile.

please help

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Nikkie

You need an urgent doctors appointment, as this seems like a problem of facial weakness. It could possibly be something like a Bell's Palsy, but only a thorough clinical examination may establish this.
The disease in the case of a Bell's may respond to medication if given early, and it is of utmost importance that the eye is protected from drying out.
If there are other concerns, you may require a MRI scan to exclude other pathology.