Posted by: Cat | 2011-06-28

Left shoulder spasm (computer-related)

I''ve always had a problem with a spasm just to the left of my left shoulderblade, whenever I worked on the computer for more than a few hours. Muscle relaxants only helped for a bit. Recently I went for physio treatment, which helped for a while - heat treatment, massaging, the whole shebang. The therapist also taught me the correct posture in front of the computer, to which I''m keeping religiously - and I also started using an extra small pillow to support that spot behind my shoulder. The spasm has however decided to revisit with a vengeance, and I had to go get a shot last Saturday at my GP just to relax that damned muscle. It''s been acting up again since yesterday morning - so much so that it feels like a burning hole the size of a fist, right next to my shoulderblade. The muscle is discernable as a short, tight sinewy ''thing'' under my skin.

Should I just make peace with this and go for a shot every week? Or how can I make this better? What am I doing wrong?

The muscle spasm is most likely due to the over use of the spesific muscle. If it is due to your working position in front of the computer, I suggest that you take regular breaks from your seated position to do some stretching and a brisk walk to prevent muscle spasm from forming.

When the muscle spasm occurs, I suggest that you consult a physiotherapist or chiropractor for the treatment of the acute muscle spasm.

Your spouse/partner can apply Voltaren Emulgel on the area at night to break the cycle of pain and muscle spasm.