Posted by: Fiekus | 2009-09-09

Left leg buckles after back injury

I hurt my lower back while doing tummy cruches in gym and after a few days the pain shifted to my left hip. It was so severe that I battled to lift my left leg. It got a bit better, but I started noticing that if I walk fast or climb stairs my left leg just buckles and gives in. I played action cricket and when attempting a run, my left leg gave way and I tumbled! I' ve had 4 physio sessions and am now pain free but yesterday I attended gym for the first time in 6 weeks, and walked on the treadmill for 15 mins, very lightly. Then I did a few stretch exercises to strengthen my left leg. When walking to the car I had to go down a flight of stairs and if I hadn' t been holding on to the railing, I would have tumbled! It' s better now, but what can I do to identify the cause? Is it just a case of the left leg muscles becoming weaker? Like I stated previously, I am virtually pain free after the physio sessions, but why would my left leg (only) buckle like that still? Thanks so much!

Hi Fiekus

Short of continuing with physio, I must confess I don't know. It sounds like a neural thing to me, though I've never heard of sudden buckling of the leg. That really is very peculiar. Has the physio not said anything about it? Perhaps you need to explain to them exactly what is happening and then see if they can help with the rehab, and some work to help you control the leg better. I honestly have not heard of this before, particular relating to a hip injury caused by an abdominal strain. there seems to be some structural issue that is affecting the nerve or the stability and your brain is protecting against having weight on it. Really, only the physio can assess and help out, so maybe bring it up there.