Posted by: Matt | 2010-07-02

Left knee, swelling 2 weeks afta bike accident on medial side

Hi there, had a bike accident about 2,5 weeks ago and a the accident was in very good condition. I did not notice a pain in my left knee. I also felt as if I had torn my pants over the knee on the medial side. I was wearing two pairs of pants. I checked and neither pair were torn at all. I went for an xray on the knee and no problems. I also had a sonar and there were no problems observed. Its now 2,5 weeks later and I still have pain when bending my knee. This may be due to the fluid buildup superior to the vastus medialis and medial and lateral to the patellar tendon. The swelling builtup over about a week and is now staying at the same level. Is this what is causing the pain when trying to bend perhaps? Spoke to a GP who I bumped into from UK, he said it just needs a compression bandage to push fluids back in and ibuprofen 2 tablets twice a day. Went to see a GP in his rooms and he sucked some of the juice out with syringe it was straw colour. He said its not a problem and its not water in the knee. He says that the muscle was heavily bruised during the accident and its just fluid comingout of the muscle?? He said if he sucks out all the flud in one go it will appear again the next day? So he prescribed me an antiinflammatory and not the compression bandage. How can my knee still be hurting when bent after 2,5 weeks? Was there a mistake made on the sonar? If I feel on the swelling, there is a distinct line where the swelling stops. I think I have perhaps torn the fascia sheath that sits on top of the muscle and bone in this area? I stay in Roodepoort. Could you recommend a good knee specialist or orthopaedist? Thank you Mat

Your best option will be to consult an orthopaedic surgeon and he/she will most probably do a arthroscopy to evaluate the cartlidge tissue inside the knee, as well as your tendons. Unfortunately, I am situated in Cape Town and is not familiar with specialists in your area. I therefore, suggest that you contact your nearest local private hospital for a name and contact details.

In the interim, you should use Ibuprofen 400mg, three times daily, after meals for at least 10 days. You can buy a compression bandage from your pharmacy for your knee. I also suggest that you ask the pharmacist for transact patches to relief the pain. This can be placed over the area of swelling, in order order to alleviate the swelling and pain.

Please remember that such an injury with severe brusing and muscle tissue damage can take up to 6 months to heal.

Posted by: Dee | 2010-07-03

I had a similar problem with my knee and the Dr kept giving me voltaren and anti inflammatory tabs.I even went to a second Dr and he said not too worry! I eventually went to a specialist and ended up having major knee surgery. Do not wait! Go and see a specialist now! The best one in Jhb is Dr Ponky Firer - he is at the Linksfield Clinic. He treats all of the SA rugby players and a lot of sportsmen and women. He is known throughout the country. Brilliant guy - will sort it out for sure! Good luck! Dee

Reply to Dee