Question
Posted by: cathy | 2008/09/02

leder hosen

Went to general surgeon yesterday. I have a huge hard section on the left side of my right foot, just behind the bridge of the foot almost below the ancke. it is painful and swells a lot. went for dopler scan on friday - all OK, no thrombosis. the surgeon says it may be leder hosen sydrome and could become more serious and that it is some sort of fibrosis. I surfed the ' net today but couldn' t find such a " syndrome"  and only general stuff on fibrosis - nothing referring to " feet" . I would like to mention that according to the dr my father has a " similar"  type of sydrome according to dr called: Dupuytren disease/sydrome.

Please explain (or refer me to sites) about leder hosen syndrome as I cannot get an appointment with a decent Orthopedic surgeon before end of November 08. (FOR INTEREST SAKE: the surgeon says leder hosen means the leather pants the german people wear as traditional dress....)

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Cathy

Lederhosen Syndrome is a plantar fibromatosis which is a benign (non-cancerous) growth of connective tissue in the plantar fascia which is in the sole of the foot. These are similar to Dupuytren's contractures in the palm of the hand which occur most commonly in the area of the 4th digit. There is loads of information on the net, just do a search for plantar fibromatosis. They are not normally a problem but if they become large they can cause pain if they affect the weightbearing area of the foot. They can be surgically excised but this is not always successful. From a podiatrist's point of view, a presciption insole can help offload the weight from the area.

Chris