Question
Posted by: veronica | 2009-04-02

leaving my dogs while on holiday

Okay here' s the story, we are planning a trip to the U.K in December for approx. 2 weeks. we have 3 dogs at home, my one female (bullterrier) is very clingy and " ma-vas" , and extremely attached to our family. The last time we went away for a weekend we put her in kennels, although i thought she was okay (never had any alarming calls from the kennels). When we got back she was very depressed, physically depressed, had very red eyes (like she had been crying) and apparently never ate any of her food! My question is, how can i ensure that she will indeed be okay for 2 weeks without us, do you think she will cope! she is like a person and is extremely sensitive. 2 weeks is a long time as apposed to a weekend! any suggestions?

Dear Veronica

Ask the kennel if you can plug in a DAP diffuser in her kennels. Clomicalm is also something you can put her on to reduce her stress levels.

2
Posted by: WR | 2009-04-03

You should working on her now - slowly but surely distance yourself from her. You are creating the problem with this dog. Start with having someone else feed her. If you can - try and organise with the kennel that you take her there before hand for a day, and pick her up the next day. DON' T fuss over her.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Carol | 2009-04-02

Thats a tricky one... I can' t kennel my boxer bitch either , I did it once , she refused food and water and ended up on a drip , never again!

I' d have to get a housesitter , perhaps you could try that ?

Reply to Carol