Posted by: Worried | 2009-04-20

Leaving daschies alone for a week

Hi there, We have never left our 2 dachies alone for more that a night. They are like our babies and we never go on holiday or away for weekends because we are very fond of them. If they can t come with wherever we go, then we stay at home. But now we have a reached a point where stress at work and home is getting to us and hubby and I need a break. we are planning to be away for 6-7 days. We have trustworthy neighbours which will be looking after our daschies ( they have before), but I am stressed and worried about them! They are very loving and dependant and the female is pregnant (few days i suspect). Will they be okay? Is there anything I can give them to make it easier? Maybe more toys? Special food? New blankets?

Dear Worried

Look for a kennel in your area of a person who takes dogs into their home.

Posted by: Cat Lady | 2009-04-20

Us too. Leaving for Oz on Friday to see children not seen in 10 years. Housesitter for 2 dogs and 14 cats and the 3 " more difficult"  off to the kennels. That' s the reason why we havent gone away for 25 years!

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Carol | 2009-04-20

I agree with Chill..... if we had to go away I would get a house sitter .... I have too many animals to kennel and I wouldnt leave them unsupervised.

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2009-04-20

Mandi' s probably right.

But personally, I have never ever left my dogs alone at home, not even for one night, and there is no way I would even consider doing so. If I' m not home, they go to kennels, and if the kennels are full, I don' t go away.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Mandi | 2009-04-20

I promise you it will be more dramatic for you that it will be for them. To be honest, they probably won' t even miss you. Apparently dogs have no sense of time, so wether you are gone for 1 hour or 7 days makes no difference to them.
Just don' t make a big hoo-ha when you leave. Say goodbye like you do every morning and just leave as if you are going to work.

And remember, if they have food and water and someone to keep an eye on them, they will be perfectly fine.

Reply to Mandi