Posted by: Nthabiseng | 2010-01-29

Leaving Dangerously

My husband had a minor stroke in 2005 where the Cardiologist advised him to quit smoking but he did not heed that advice he still smokes and heavily. He was diagonised with type 2 diabetes in 2007. What worries me is the fact that he drinks and smokes heavily, is drinking not detrimental to a diabetic? He drinks mainly whisky and sprite or sometimes beer.

Please help sp I can help him.

You are correct that smoking and drinking is detramentle to his health, especially soft drinks and diabetes are not optimal. For optimal health, he will have to quit smoking and drinking and start with a good diabetic diet and regular exercise (five times per week).

A glass of red wine at night with a meal will not do any harm.

I also suggest that he consults his GP at least every three months, in order to keep an eye on his blood pressure, glucose, cholesterol etc. A repeat stroke can be very debilitating.