Posted by: rolypoly | 2009-08-23

leave out bread??

I am morbid obese, still putting on weight, walking with jelly legs and extremely unhappy. So, I just stopped eating bread, cereals, pastas but eat basmati rice and potato(sweet and normal), have protein, fruit (whole) and vegies/salad morning noon and night...I do feel a little more spunkier but have the nagging feeling I might be doing something with info please...thanks

Dear RolyPoly
If you are morbidly obese you actually need the assistance of a clinical dietitian to assist you to reduce your energy intake and to assess if you require more drastic interventions such as a gastric bypass to achieve the type of massive weightloss that you may require. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. From a logical point of view you actually need to cut down on your total energy intake, so I would first cut down on fat intake (37 kJ per gram), rather than carbohydrates which contain 16 kJ per gram (quite a difference!) or less if they have a high fibre content. Please see the dietitian so that she/he can assess your situation.

Posted by: Y | 2009-08-25

Kilojoules counting don' t work all that well when you have impaired glucose tolerance - which is VERY likely if you are morbidly obese. Despite what DietDoc says, it would be easier and better for you to cut carbs as far as possible (and this includes bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, oats, and even fruit), and rather eat more fat (one can' t eat more than a certain amount of protein). So basically you should try to stick as far as possible with meat (both lean and fatty cuts are fine), oily and white fish, chicken, eggs and non-starchy vegetables.

Reply to Y